Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Breastfeeding

::Then

::Now

I've been nursing Harper now for almost 10 months.  It's been more than I ever thought it would or could be.  It's wonderful to look back on her just a few short months ago and remember.  (And yes, looking back at my 2 month-old baby brought tears to my eyes.  SO TINY).  I remember the "shark attacks" as I called them when she'd lunge at my breast or helping her to latch on over and over again.  I worried then about smothering her during feeding because her nose was always pressed RIGHTUP against me (see above picture for proof).  She was so little that I only needed one arm to hold her while nursing.  Now Harper's all about finding different positions to nurse in (upside down, standing or sitting).  Sometimes I have to offer up the milk because she's too busy playing to remember to eat.  It's sad to think that these nursing days will eventually end, though at times I selfishly wish it was over some days so I could get more than a couple of hours sleep at night.  But this time is fleeting and I have to remind myself of this often.  She won't always nurse, she won't always sleep nestled up next to me in bed, rooting for milk.  She won't need me in this way for comfort.  Eventually she'll only need a hug or a kiss or words to comfort her.  Frequently I remind myself how precious this time is; how special it all is.  I cherish these nursing moments so much.  They're special moments between just the two of us.  And as she grows I hope we continue to carry on moments like these and forever and always have some kind of a special bond like we have now. 

No comments: