Monday, August 23, 2010

Let the Fun Begin!

I was nursing Harper last night (or was it this morning?  Who knows?) and she bit me for the first time.  Like really bit me.  She's pulled on me before, enough to make my heart skip a beat, but this was real biting.

That should have been my first clue that something was up.

We had a good day of nothing, really.  We played and sang and even went to the grocery store.  She was happy, talkative, and good.

Then, around 4:00, all hell broke loose.

She was whining then crying then screaming.  She didn't want to play or sing or lay down.  She didn't want to be in her swing or on the ground or on my lap.  I thought it strange that she didn't want to nurse.  Harper's not one to refuse a boob.

That should have been my second clue.  But, in my defense, I'm new at this.

I tried walking around with her.  Wade took her outside while I pumped (no nursing for 4 hours = rock hard boobs).  He gave her a teething ring and she was quiet for about 20 minutes.

Ah ha!  Finally, my light bulb upstairs went off.  The poor thing is teething, I thought.  She has days like this every so often.  Lately it's been quite frequent.  In fact, she's been super grumpy the past 4 days.  So I stuck my finger in her mouth.

BINGO!

I felt the sharp, little bugger that has been causing my poor baby such agony!  And boy did she let out a wail when I touched it!  So, I decided to try:
- a cold, wet washcloth with an ice cube
- a teething ring
- nursing
- tylenol
- oragel
- a pacifier

and nothing helped.  For over an hour she cried and cried and cried.  I felt absolutely HORRIBLE.  She didn't want anything coming near her mouth, but the poor thing was hungry (she was doing her giddy laugh every time I put her into position to nurse :0( but she just couldn't eat).  Finally, I took her outside and she got distracted by the dogs.  I think eventually the tylenol (or knock-off brand since tylenol was recalled) started working because she stopped crying and eventually started to be happy.  In fact, the rest of the evening was pleasant. 

Let me just say that I hope I'm not this dense with the next baby.  Mark one on the "Dumb Momma Moments" for me!

No comments: