Wednesday, June 2, 2010

A friend of our family's, who is graduating high school this weekend, visited my parent's house last week. M., my mom, and I were sitting in the living room talking about nothing and everything. Then M tells us about a freshman (FRESHMAN!) who is pregnant. Aren't FRESHMEN like 14 years-old?!? I'm pretty sure my friends and I were not having sex or even THINKING about having sex at 14. YIKES.

I look at Harper and while I try to slow down my days, make every moment with her stretch as much as possible, I still think about the future. What will she be like? What sort of things will she be interested in? Will she and I be good friends like my mom and me are? Will I be able to educate her about the right things? Will we be able to instill the right morals and values in her. Will we be able to keep our 14 (16, 18!) year-old from getting pregnant? I know things like this happen more often than we like to think. And if it's going to happen, it will. I hope that I can keep it from happening; I hope that Harper is smarter and in more control over her body than that.

Can't she just be a nerd? And want to read books? And learn everything about everything? And be beautiful? And independent? And have great social skills?

But most of all, can't she just be a nerd and neverevernever want to have sex at 14 (or 16 or 18!).

I don't care if she wants to be a nerd who runs around in a cape all day. I will still love her. (And I would love her if she got pregnant at 14 GOD FORBID.)

No comments: