Wednesday, June 16, 2010


Harper is not a very big fan of her carseat. Sometimes she's fine in it for, oh, three minutes. Tops. But mostly she acts like it's some sort of torture device (and really, it kind of seems that way when I'm putting her in there. Poor little arms!) However, there are appointments to keep, farmer's market's to visit, and parks to explore. Therefore every few days we venture out of the house. She's got to get used to this thing eventually, right?

Today was a slightly spur-of-the-moment, slightly planned outing. I had a video that needed returned and a few groceries that need to be bought. We ended up meeting my mom for lunch at a local pizza place (oh, Wise Pies how I love thee!). This particular establishment is located in a fairly busy part of downtown. We sat outside at one of their tables waiting for mom to arrive. Harper was happily (!) playing with me in her carseat. For two seconds. And then she turned into Hungry Monster. FEED ME NOW! Thankfully I had decided NOT to wear the really cute striped dress I got for a steal at Goodwill over the weekend ($2.99!) and opted instead for shorts, nursing tank, and shirt. Now, I have nursed in public before, but usually it's more discreet. And since Harper is getting a wee bit older every day (ack!) she is constantly looking around. Needless to say, I was a little nervous about popping my boob out on this busy street (especially since not 10 feet away was some guy smoking a cig on his cell phone and I was paranoid my boob was showing and he was taking pictures. HELLO FACEBOOK.) Harper latched on like she hadn't eaten for days (shark mouth I call it), but kept choking and pulling off. It was hot, she was sweaty, and the metal chair was hurting my delicate behind. Somehow I managed to pull it off, though. Score one for me! Eventually we'll get better at the nursing in public. That will make our outings a little more tolerable.
And because she was such a good girl, we walked around Basesler's and I was able to do a little bit of grocery shopping. When we got home (after a lovely nursing session where Harper wanted to talk and talk and talk to me! Oh, and eat my face. "No, honey, my nose is not a boob!) I was able to make rhubarb pudding and two loaves of bread today (not to mention clean the kitchen and do laundry) while Harper slept in her swing. I don't know if she's teething or having a growth spurt, but myohmy this child can sure sleep a LONG time when she wants to! Maybe this is a sign that her "colic" stage is ending. One can only hope. Until then: more gratuitous baby spam for your viewing pleasure:

No comments: