Monday, June 6, 2011

Book Challenge Update

Despite all the craziness of cleaning up after the storm and getting things back to normal, I have been doing a lot of reading.  I finished The Quilter's Apprentice which was a warm and fuzzy little book.  It started off a bit slow, but quickly picked up and I finished in within just a couple of days.  I am happy to know that there are two other books in this series!  It was a really fell-good kind of book, and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for a calm, relaxing, G-rated book.

What I am most excited about sharing with you is something that I was hoping would come of this little book challenge.  After finishing The Quilter's Apprentice I went to the library to check out the other two books, but got side tracked when I came across The Lost Summer of Louisa May Alcott: A Novel by Kelly O'Connor McNees.  I've not been big on books that take letters and things of real authors and create a part of their lives in a book.  Usually because I'm so disappointed that it didn't really happen!  This book takes letters from Alcott's actual life and McNees creates a story that proves that Alcott could have actually been in love and had a romance.  McNees pieces together this lost summer in Alcott's life in a way that is completely believable.  I was a bit disappointed at the end that this didn't really happen, but I couldn't put the book down!  But I am completely engrossed in all things Louisa May Alcott now!  I have always loved Little Women (who doesn't??) but it never dawned on me to research her life.  So now I'm reading Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women by Harriet Reiser.  I'm about 100 pages into it, but I have already learned so much about Alcott and her family.  I'm so excited to get back to the library to get more books that Alcott wrote and I'm also deeply interested in getting books on Transcendentalism (which is what Bronson Alcott, Louisa's father, was into along with Thoreau and Emerson).  I can't adequately express how happy I am that I discovered these books!  I am even considering doing something with Louisa May Alcott for my graduate projectCall me a nerd, but I don't care!  

If you have come across any good books lately, let us know!  If you'd like to join in, feel free!  I would love for someone else to tap into this energy and excitement that I found!  And I'd love to hear from anyone who has had a similar experience.

Happy reading!

No comments: