Tuesday, July 27, 2010

At a Loss

For those of you who read this little blog, I'm in need of advice!  In about a week and a half we will be traveling about 16-18 hours away.  With a four month-old.  Who LOATHES her car seat.  How is this going to work?!

Harper does well in her seat for about 10 minutes at a time.  Then she starts to fuss followed by whimpering and ending in full-blown crying.  This is difficult for me to bear and it's not going to be possible for us to stop every 10 or 20 minutes.  I've got a pump that can be used in the car so hopefully she'll take a bottle (which has been pretty unsuccessful so far).  She usually calms down when we play The Wheels on the Bus; however, 16 hours of that song and we will be committed.  We have toys on her seat, but she gets bored with them pretty quickly.  Obviously we will be stopping every couple of hours to let her out of her seat to play and stretch.  But how are we going to be able to get her to stay in her seat without screaming the entire time?

Do any of you have babies that don't like their car seat?  Have you ever taken them on a long road trip?  How did it go?  What did you do when they cried?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

{This is her new goofy smile.  LOVE. IT.}

2 comments:

jill said...

um, im supposed to be giving helpful advice but i would be stressed too if i were you, just sayin. haha! corbin luckily likes the car and just watches everything whiz by out the window. what if you brought a dvd player and let her watch a cartoon movie with lots of music and bright colors. i know its not ideal for a baby to watch tv but if it might make the trip easier i would do it! good luck! and let us know how it goes!
oh, and im no help with the bottle thing either. corbin still wont take one. i just sit in the back and stick my boob in his mouth while the hubs is driving if i have to! haha

Courtney L said...

You are very lucky to have a baby that likes his car seat! I know everyone says that watching television and whatnot is bad for babies, but I am planning on bringing DVDs to watch in the car since I will be in the backseat with her. I very, very rarely watch TV at home with her so I can honestly say that I don't let it babysit her. However, I am willing to try anything for this trip! I am not opposed to sticking my boob in her mouth while Wade is driving either!
Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!