Monday, April 16, 2012

Meet The Ladies.

It's been a dream of mine for about a year to raise chickens.  Crazy, right?  But most definitely true.  Until Wade and I find our dream farmhouse with a few acres, I've got to do what I can with what I have.  So about two weeks ago Wade decided to help make that dream come true.  He got really ambitious, bought 5 chicks, and materials to build The Ladies a chicken tractor.


So, it is with pleasure that I introduce you all to The Ladies:

Meet Claudette.  She's a little feisty, but sweet.  When we first got them she would fall sleep in my hands.

This is Lucy, one of our two redheads (or Rhode Island Reds).

Here is Katherine, or Kate since it's easier for Harper to pronounce.

This is the diva, or Bette.  She was the first to learn how to "fly" out of their bed.

And finally Doris.  She's skittish and flighty, but she's pretty and has the coolest eyes out of all of them.
Obviously these are just going to be laying hens for us.  I'm definitely not a point in my life where I can slaughter animals for meat.  I'll stick to our local farm (Royer Farms for anyone local who is interested) for our meat.  And yes, I did name our chickens after old time movie actresses.  Very glamourous, no?

No comments: