Thursday, September 30, 2010

Half a year

Sweet Baby Harper,
    You are six months today.  I was in excruciating pain at about this time.  But we were so exciting that we were finally going to get to meet you!
    And now here we are so many months later.  At this moment, you're sitting next to me in your high chair sucking on a bagel bite and drinking out of your sippy cup.  You're picking things up by yourself; you're able to use a sippy cup.  I can't help but think WHEN DID THIS ALL HAPPEN? cause last thing I remember, you couldn't hold your head up on your own.  Now you're all, Whatever Momma I can do it myself! 

    Honestly, though, you've switched on like a light.  This change was taking it's sweet time and then one day:  Poof!  You could pick things up!  And bring them to your mouth!  You could sit unattended!  All these amazing milestones were taking place.  What's even more is that you're now able to get on all fours and kind of rock in place.  You have still been scooting around like a worm most of the time and you refuse to roll from your stomach to your back (though really, my love, if you would do this you wouldn't get so pissed off all the time!)  You're starting to pull yourself up and you REALLY love to be walked around. 
    You still have only your two bottom teeth, but I think you're starting to work on some more.  You've been using those two teeth to help you rip food apart.  Oh, yea, food.  You're so over baby food.  Instead, you watch us eat with pleading eyes until we give you a nibble.  Some sweet potato here, a piece of bread there, some mashed up something-or-other.  And you want to drink out of our cups, which you're actually pretty good at.  It's really cute to see you open your mouth like a little bird toward our glasses or food.

    I have successfully breastfed you for SIX MONTHS.  It's like old hat now!  I nurse you anywhere and everywhere without a moment's thought.  I don't even have to watch what I'm doing (though I'm always cautious not to flash - you're doing that enough yourself since you get so distracted easily!)  I'm so glad I stuck with it and have made it to my first mini-goal.  Here's to (at least) six more months!  You're nursing every 3 hours or so, unless you're cranky/tired/upset.  Then it's however many times you feel like it however often you want it.
    You're a good sleeper.  You've started being able to lay down , though usually only for about 30-45 minutes.  You don't like Gramie and Grampie's swing as much as you used to, though you still sleep in it.  You still like ours and will sleep 4 hours in it if you need to.  We're still co-sleeping and I don't foresee us giving that up any time soon.  Even though your room is right across the hall, I don't think I'd sleep a wink with you that far away!
    You love to play with dogs and look at yourself in the mirror.  Both of those things make you smile and giggle!  You're all about textures and the way things feel to your hand.  You're constantly petting things (you do this a lot while you're nursing, too)  Oh, and you still love to be sung to.  Now you try to sing along with us (swoon!) 

   Your newest trick is blowing raspberries with your lips (like you're doing right now!).  It's kind of like your way of talking.  You do it a lot when you get mad, like you're telling us off!  I think it's really cute (I know, how sadistic of me!)
    Though the time has flown by, it's been so amazingly incredible.  We love you oh so much!  We're so lucky to have such an amazing little baby girl and I'm thankful that I get to spend each and every day watching you grow!  My heart grows with you, let me tell you! 
    We love you so much, baby girl!  Can't wait to see what the next six months bring us!

No comments: