Wednesday, December 9, 2009

23 weeks

Baby is now 23 weeks old. That means she weighs over a pound and is longer than a foot. Next week is viability week and I am ready to hit that mark.

I feel I've been pretty good as far as not freaking out over every little thing and calling the doctor. I will admit to calling her when I had really, really bad cramps to where I couldn't stand up straight, when I had some spotting, and the day after I fell down the stairs. For most of my other concerns I look them up online, ask the other expectant moms on places like babycenter.com and justmommies.com, and, of course, I ask my own mother.

But I will have to say that I've been freaking out ever since I fell down the stairs. Prior to that traumatic event, Baby would usually kick up a storm after I ate or whenever I would lie down. Now, not so much. She hasn't been kicking me nearly as much since then. I keep telling myself that it really isn't anything to be concerned about. That maybe I'm just that calming or she's that lazy. Or maybe she's just constantly turned around. Granted, every so often I get a nice little jab in my side that makes me jump (literally...sometimes it's like being tickled from the inside), but I was getting so used to the routine of eating and then enjoying her romping around or laying down and feeling her swim. I'm trying to be good and not call the doctor since I have an appointment on Friday. But in all honesty, it's difficult not to pick up the phone. I resist that urge quite often. Every little thing out of the ordinary makes me want to call. Mostly I want reassurance, but secretly I want them to tell me to come in so I can see my little one.

This whole motherhood thing is strange and wonderful and just a wee bit terrifying. Everyday there's something new or something that's changed. This mode of thinking is usually what keeps me from calling the doctor. I have to admit that while I enjoy this unique experience, it would be nice if more pregnancies were similar. If only it were common that at exactly 23 weeks and 2 days you will start to feel your baby move 10-12 times a day. Or at 24 weeks you will be able to see your baby kick from the outside. Maybe that's taking the fun out of it. I do enjoy these little surprises. She's definitely keeping me on the edge of my seat.

Thankfully, as I write this, Baby has put mommy's nerves to rest by kicking me nonstop for the past few minutes. Must have been the cake and punch from upstairs :0) Thanks, Baby Girl!

No comments: